Meador’s at age 1
Shown above is Meador’s Pharmacy in 1918. Dumas' first gasoline pump was located at right in the photo. Bowles Meador is second from the left in the photo. Rock and Bowles Meador opened the store on July 4, 1917, the same day that the electricity was turned on in Dumas. The power was only on from noon until midnight in those days. The gas came in barrels and had to be pumped out and into a tank that was buried in a pasture next to the store. The store also sold tires, "casings", that were shipped by riverboat to Arkansas City then on to Dumas by truck.